NEW YORK UAS TEST SITE
GRIFFISS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT – Oneida County | Rome, NY
The New York UAS Test Site is one of seven FAA-Designated UAS Test Sites in the United States. Owned by Oneida County and managed by NUAIR, the New York UAS Test Site consists of a highly instrumented unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) testing facility at Griffiss International Airport in Rome, NY and is part of New York’s 50-mile UAS Traffic Management corridor spanning from Rome to Syracuse.
In 2019 NY State Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced the completion of the 50-mile drone corridor which facilitates beyond visual line of sight (BVLOS) testing and advanced unmanned aircraft operations. NUAIR continues to advance, develop and maintain the radar and technologies throughout the corridor, attracting companies from across the globe to Central New York.
TOTAL UAS TEST FLIGHTS
|YEAR||# OF FLIGHTS|
Over 2,700 advanced UAS test flights, equating to over 650 total flight hours of small, medium and large unmanned aircraft.
- sUAS operations in Class G airspace nationally
- Up to 1,200’ Above Ground Level (AGL)
- sUAS operations in Class C and D airspace
- sUAS BVLOS operations up to 1,000’ AGL
- 5,000 sq miles of large UAS operations
- Up to 10,000’ Mean Sea Level (MSL)
- Large UAS operations up to FL 600
- Designated Airworthiness Representative (DAR)
- Chase operations
- Night operations
- State-of-the-art UAS Operations Control Center
- Air traffic data capture, display and playback
- Simulation and analysis capabilities
- 11,800 ft. x 300 ft. heavy-duty runway
- Operating air traffic control tower
- Large hangar buildings with multi-story office space
- Instrument landing systems with lighting and weather sensors
- Ample airspace for UAS test operations
Designed to incorporate additional ground and airborne sensors to expand airspace coverage as needed, the engineering design philosophy for New York UAS Test Site instrumentation is for the ability to operate at a high Technology Readiness Level (TRL).
Oneida County Aviation Commissioner
Chad Lawrence was appointed as the Aviation Commissioner of Griffiss International Airport by Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente in 2018, following a five-year role as the airport’s Deputy Commissioner. He is tasked with the overall growth and advancement of the airport and the New York UAS Test Site.
“I have seen first-hand what Griffiss has become and I believe in County Executive Picente’s vision of where Griffiss can go from here.
This community at Griffiss, has one of the most unique economic assets in the entire country and I’m honored to have this opportunity. I thank County Executive Picente for the chance to grow this test site and airport.”
TEST YOUR DRONE TECHNOLOGY AT THE NEW YORK UAS TEST SITE!
New York’s 50-mile UAS UTM/BVLOS Corridor includes USS support, simulation capabilities, secure data collection & more!