Current career opportunities at NUAIR.
Job Title: Director of Business Development
Reports To: Chief of Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
NUAIR is looking for a director of business development to join our expanding organization. The successful candidate will be responsible for identifying, managing, and qualifying opportunities utilizing multiple sales channels and influencing the strategic direction of the company. Collaborating with marketing to assure consistent messaging stated goals and market positioning. Collaborating with finance and operations to assure that cost estimates are accurate and develop cost estimates and pricing recommendations for qualified opportunities. Engaging with the target community to understand their needs, identify potential customers with needs capable of being satisfied by NUAIR, and engage with those in the customer community throughout the business development process. Responsible for internal accounting of business development opportunities including internal reporting, status communication, forecasting, and tracking of active opportunities.
- Understanding, influencing, and improving the NUAIR strategic plan through customer and market knowledge, community engagement, and deep understanding of the direction of the industry.
- Engage with the customer community and key members of the NUAIR team to understand our capabilities and how they align with the customer needs. Identify potential customers and markets by investigating and analyzing trends in the UAS industry and take a targeted approach for growth and revenue generation. Make recommendations to management on how to modify NUAIR’s capabilities to better align with the strategic and targeted customers in the target market segments.
- Develop, in collaboration with the Director of Marketing, marketing strategies and materials that support the business development goals including alignment with both short- and long-term market goals. Refine these messages to have the maximum impact on the targeted segments of the customer community.
- Follow-up on marketing-generated leads (including leads from the website, digital campaigns, events, press and other marketing programs) to qualify leads and generate orders.
- Represent the company by actively participating in industry events and trade shows utilizing these opportunities to expand the reach and reputation of the company.
- Actively managing and growing the opportunity pipeline by identifying and closing on key revenue and strategic wins while facilitating frequent and accurate internal communication of the key opportunities and capture actions required of the organization.
- Establish and achieve goals to grow quarterly leads generated, qualified, opportunities created, and orders booked.
- Managing the activities necessary to qualify and close opportunities including generating and maintaining cost estimates and pricing recommendations, collaborating with operations and other parts of the organization, as necessary, to define and close actions required for closure, and support the transition of captured opportunities to operations for execution.
- Develop and execute both strategic and tactical capture strategies resulting in increased long- and short-term backlog for the organization. Requires active participation in business strategy development to grow the organizations capability and expand the market reach of the organization.
- Lead small teams focused on executing limited term projects including demonstrations, capture efforts, strategic developments, community engagements such as strategic procurements, and small projects. Provide overall planning and execution as required for a successful outcome.
The following requirements reflect the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for this position.
- Eight to ten years related experience with a minimum of five in business development; experience in the Unmanned Aeriel Systems market preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree (BS or BA) in related field from an accredited university.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills including the ability to read and understand industry publications, client tenders including government procurements, and related documents.
- Lead the development of and author proposals, quotes, presentation materials, and business correspondence. Effectively presenter able to communicate complex concepts to knowledgeable community members.
- Confident presentation skills, a comfort level with senior professionals and the communications skills to articulate the NUAIR’s value proposition.
- Demonstrated effectiveness for listening and comprehending customer needs; communicate to the NUAIR organization and related organizations; and develop, lead, and execute successful capture strategies.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of programmatic and technical information and formulate an effective strategy / conclusion.
- Highly motivated, driven, and a self-starter with the ability to work without close supervision.
- Ability and willingness to learn, to react to and share lessons learned across the organization.
- Strong time management with strong organizational skills
- Prior professional sales development experience; start-up experience a plus
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Microsoft Office, CRM (preferably Sales Force), and related business software packages.
The work environment characteristics consists primarily of an office environment with occasional requirement to work on operational sites including travel to customer locations and conferences, exposed to work near moving mechanical parts, and exposed to outdoor weather conditions including rain, snow, wind, sun, cold, and heat. The typical noise level in the work environment is low to moderate.
At NUAIR we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
This position description should not be considered the final description of the position. It should be assumed that we would, to some extent, structure responsibilities in accordance with the successful candidate’s capabilities and changing business conditions.
NUAIR (Northeast UAS Airspace Integration Research Alliance, Inc.) is a New York based nonprofit organization that provides unsurpassed expertise in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) operations, aeronautical research, safety management and consulting services. Headquartered in Syracuse, NUAIR manages operations of the New York UAS Test Site at Griffiss International Airport in Rome, NY, one of seven FAA-designated UAS test sites in the United States and is responsible to the FAA and NASA to conduct operations for UAS and advanced air mobility (AAM) eVTOL testing. NUAIR is responsible for the continued development and advancement of New York’s Advanced Air Mobility Proving Grounds and 50-mile UAS corridor between Syracuse and Rome, facilitating beyond visual line of sight testing and commercial operations, facilitating various state and local agencies in adoption of UAS and associated technologies ensuring the safe integration of UAS and eVTOLS into the national airspace.